Solomon's Great Mistakes —And how he made God angry
Time ~ 6. Kingdom Divided Span ~ 200 years Books ~ 2Kings, 2Chronicles, Isaiah, Amos, Jonah, Hosea, Micah Figures ~ Solomon, Elijah, Elisha, Isaiah Begins with ~ Rebellion of the ten tribes Ascendant empire ~ Assyria
In this lesson we identify and list Solomon's mistakes. However these are really but various forms of one single fault, namely disobedience. There were many ways in which Solomon erred, but they all boil down to this: "Solomon did not observe what the Lord had commanded"(1Kings 11:10).
How Solomon Angered God (1Kings 11)
Among the things which made God angry about Solomon, are those listed below from 1Kings chapter 11.
1. Misplaced love (v.1, see Matthew 10:37).
Love is good only when its objects are good.
2. Evil companions (v.2, see 1Corinthians 15:33).
Close ties should not be made with those who follow evil.
3. Seeking status and prestige (v.3, see Matthew 19:30).
What we acquire in excess of need, is but for folly and pride.
4. Compromise (v.4, see Matthew 12:30).
If only halfway devoted to God, we are at enmity with him.
5. Idolatry (v.5, see Colossians 3:5).
Where idolatry is the practice, covetousness is the principle.
6. Rebellion (v.6, see Philippians 3:16-17).
The example of good parents and mentors is not to be scorned.
7. Entanglement in sin (v.7, see 2Peter 2:20-22).
A sin wilfully repeated becomes a snare without escape.
8. Serving many masters (v.8, see Matthew 6:24).
The one who serves God can serve no other master.
9. Ingratitude (v.9, see 1Thessalonians 5:18).
Once blessed, give thanks; twice blessed, give your all.