Author: Ron Graham
Time ~ 10. Coming of the Son of God
Span ~ 30 years
Books ~ Matthew, Mark, Luke, John
Figures ~ John the Baptizer, Jesus
Begins with ~ Birth of Jesus
Ends with ~ Death of Jesus
Ascendant empire ~ Rome
Our studies of the Times of Israel come to their climax in this lesson. The cross of Christ is the turning point in the Times of Israel, and for that matter the times of the whole wide world.
At the cross of Christ, a major change of covenants is made. The old is taken away and all things become new. The law of Moses, gives way to the law of Christ. The earthly Israel gives way to the congregation of Christ, the kingdom of heaven. By his blood, Jesus brings in a new covenant and opens the way to the heavenly Jerusalem. No longer are we learning about somebody else's times. Now the Times of Israel become your times and mine.
We might well call it the “crucial” point. The word comes from crux the Roman (Latin) word for "cross". Caiaphas, while acting as high priest, prophesied that Jesus would die so that he might gather together into one kingdom all the children of God both from Israel and from all the world (John 11:49-53 Ephesians 2:11-22). The prophets from ancient times had also looked to that day (Psalm 22 and Isaiah 53 for example)..
When Jesus was on the cross, shedding his blood, "the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom". This showed that there was "a new and living way which he inaugurated for us through the veil, that is to say his flesh" (Matthew 27:50-51, Hebrews 10:19-22).
1. Betrayed Psalms 41:9, John 13:18
2. Betrayal price Zechariah 11:12-13, Matthew 26:14-16, Matthew 27:5-10
3. Met with hatred Psalms 35:19, Psalms 69:4, John 15:24-25
4. Disciples scattered Zechariah 13:7, Matthew 26:31, #Mrk 14:27
5. False witnesses Psalms 27:12-14, Mark 14:55-57
6. The crucifixion Psalms 22:1-21, Matthew 27:33-46
7. Crucified with thieves Isaiah 53:9,12, Matthew 27:38, Luke 22:37
8. Given vinegar Psalms 69:20-21, Matthew 27:34
9. Lots cast for garments Psalms 22:18, Matthew 27:35
10. Taunts of mockers Psalms 22:7-8, Matthew 27:39-44
11. "Forsaken" by God Psalms 22:1 (not Isaiah 54:7-8), Matthew 27:46
12. No bones broken Psalms 34:20, John 19:31-36
13. Pierced Psalms 22:16, Zechariah 12:10, Zechariah 13:6, Luke 24:39, John 20:24-29