Author: Ron Graham
Ten Promises that Jesus Made
—Promises for You
The promises of Christ are very great and precious (2Peter 1:4). That is self evident; you have only to hear the promises of Christ to see how wonderful they are. This lesson shows you ten of the promises that Jesus has made for you.
TEN GREAT PROMISES
1. "God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes on him should not perish but have everlasting life" (John 3:16).
2. "He who believes and is baptized shall be saved" (Mark 16:15-16).
3. "You are my friends if you do whatever I command you" (John 15:14).
4. "Come to me, all you who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30 NKJV).
5. "The one who comes to me I will certainly not cast out" (John 6:37).
6. "My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them out of My hand. My Father who has given them to Me is greater than all. No one can snatch them out of My Father’s hand." (John 10:27-29 BSB)).
7. "Lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age" (Matthew 28:18-20 NKJV)).
8. "I go to prepare a place for you, and if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to myself that where I am, there you may be also" (John 14:1-3 NKJV)).
9. "The hour is coming in which all who are in the tombs shall hear the voice of the Son of Man, and they shall come forth —those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of damnation" (John 5:28-29).
10. "Whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst again. For the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water that springs up into eternal life" (John 4:13-15).
1 Fellowship with God
These promises tells us that we are not alienated from God unless we choose to be. God loves us, and nothing is stronger than God's love. The life he holds out to us is not merely long and good, it is eternal and perfectly blessed.
Nor are we required to earn it; it is a free gift from God. We don't have to struggle unaided; God gives us help and rest. As believers, we are secure in Christ. No power can kidnap us from God's care. We become the friends of God; he is very present with us.
2 Death Overcome
Our fellowship with God is direct; there is no veil between. Death (that great curse for which man himself can find no answer though he has tried) is overcome in Christ.
All the longings that worldly things cannot satisfy are satisfied by Christ. His promises are not lovely ideas that turn out to be wishful thinking. They are sure and guaranteed by his resurrection from the dead and the seal of his Spirit upon us.
3 Walking with God
Furthermore, the promises of Christ are also conditional. This in no way weakens them or dims their glory, because nobody is excluded by any condition attached to God’s promises. Anyone who wishes can walk in them.
I repeat: nobody who desires to accept the promises is unable to fulfil the conditions. Even though death's shadow touches our path, we can always walk in the ways of the Lord.