Author: Ron Graham
Make This Life a Pilgrimage
—A journey to Heaven
A line in one of my favorite songs goes, "This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through. If heaven's not my home, then Lord what will I do?" Those words express how to be truly happy...
Regard this life as a pilgrimage, and this world as a foreign land. Your real home and where you are going is Heaven. When that is your philosophy of life, happiness is assured.
Even in times of trouble, pain, and disappointment, you will hold on to joy, because you know the trouble will pass sooner or later, and you will see and dwell forever in God’s heaven.
1 We Are Sojourners and Pilgrims
- This life is a "pilgrim's progress" and we are "sojourners and pilgrims" (1Peter 2:9-11).
- Men and women of old such as Abraham and Sarah understood that they were "strangers and pilgrims on earth" (Hebrews 11:8-16).
2 This Life is Short and Sorry
- Life is short and uncertain, "it is but a vapour" (James 4:13-15).
- This life is a "fiery ordeal" of preparation (1Peter 4:12-19).
- "If a man bears up under sorrows..." (1Peter 2:19).
3 The Only Hope Is in Following Jesus
- "Christ also suffered for us, leaving you an example that you should follow in his steps" (1Peter 2:21).
- "God... gave his only begotten Son that whoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life" (John 3:16).