Author: Ron Graham
Facts About Heaven
—A simple list
Heaven Where God Dwells
- There are three heavens in the Bible. One is the vast glory of the cosmos. “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth” (Genesis 1:1). Later God created the sky above earth and called it “heaven” (Genesis 1:2-8). There is, however, a third heaven, the greatest of all, the eternal heaven where God dwells. That's the heaven this list is about.
- Paul describes God’s dwelling in heaven: “God alone is immortal; he lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and power forever. Amen.” (1 Timothy 6:16).
- Jesus ascended to this heaven after his death and resurrection, “exhalted to the right hand of God” (Acts 2:33).
- From God’s throne in heaven, Jesus now reigns over “the kingdom of Heaven’ to which all his faithful followers belong —though presently we live on earth “our citizenship is in heaven, whence we eagerly wait for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ” (Philippians 3:20).
- Jesus went to heaven to prepare a place for us in his Father’s house and he will return to take us there (John 14:2-3).
- Paul himself “was caught up into the third heaven... caught up into Paradise” (2Corinthians 12:1-4).
- Heaven is “a new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells” (2Peter 3:13). It is the new “Mount Zion the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem” (Hebrews 12:22, Revelation 21:9).
- A main activity in heaven will be the worship of God and the Lamb who is Jesus Christ. We will worship with an “innumerable company of angels” (Hebrews 12:22 Revelation 5:11-12).
- All things in heaven are eternal —outside space, matter, and time. They are “the things which are not seen, for the things which are seen are temporal but the things which are not seen are eternal” (2Corinthians 4:18).
- Our bodies of flesh and blood cannot inherit heaven, so they will be changed into glorious bodies fit for the eternal heaven (Philippians 3:20-21, 1Corinthians 15:50-55).
- Through Jesus Christ, you can have “an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled which does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you” (1Peter 1:3-5).
- “Behold the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them and they shall be his people. God himself will be with them and be their God. And God shall wipe every tear from their eyes. There shall be no more death, nor sorrow nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away” (Revelation 21:1-5).