Author: Ron Graham
Facts About Elijah
—A simple list
The Prophet Elijah
- The acts of Elijah are found in (1Kings 17-22, 2Kings 1-2).
- A prophet in Israel after the kingdom divided.
- Named Elias in the King James New Testament.
- A “Tishbite” (thought to mean that he came from Tishbeh in Gilead).
- Contemporary with the kings of Judah named Asa, Jehoshaphat, Jehoram.
- Contemporary with the kings of Israel named Ahab, Ahaziah, Jehoram.
- Dealt with Israel's king Ahab and his wife Jezebel.
- Exposed and killed the prophets of Baal.
- Meets with God on Horeb (Mount Sinai).
- Called upon Elisha to follow him.
- Brought death upon Ahaziah king of Israel (2Kings 1).
- And upon Jehoram king of Judah (2Chronicles 21).
- Like Enoch of old, Elijah did not die as men normally do, but was taken by God into heaven.
- Taken up into heaven in a whirlwind.
- Elijah experienced and performed many miracles.
- Paul uses him as an illustration (Romans 11:1-5).
- James does too (James 5:16-18).
- John the baptizer likened to him (Malachi 4:5, Matthew 11:12-14, Luke 1:17).
- Appeared when Jesus was transfigured (Matthew 17).