Author: Ron Graham
Verses About Light
—A simple list
God Created Light
- And God said, 'Let there be light!' and there was light (Genesis 1:3).
- And God said, "Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to divide the day from the night and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years" (Genesis 1:14).
- Then God made two great lights, the greater light to govern the day, and the lesser light to govern the night. God made the stars also (Genesis 1:16).
- Light is sweet, and it is pleases our eyes to see the sun (Ecclesiastes 11:7).
The Light of Revelation
- For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 4:6).
- Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path (Psalm 119:105).
Children of Light
- For you are all children of light, children of the day. We are not of the night or of the darkness (1 Thessalonians 5:5).
- You are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the virtues of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light (1 Peter 2:9).
- For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed (John 3:20).
Walking in the Light
- You were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (Ephesians 5:8).
- This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin (1 John 1:5-7).
- I now write you a new commandment. It is true in Christ, and also in you, because the darkness is passing away, and the truel light is already shining. Those who claim to be in the light, yet hate hate their brother, these are in darkness even now. Those who love their brother are living in the light. There is no cause in them for stumbling (1 John 2:8-10).
- Awake you sleeper, arise from the dead, and Christ will give you light. See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools walk, but as do the wise (Ephesians 5:14).
What Jesus Says About Light
- When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life" (John 8:12).
- While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light... (John 12:36).
- Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eye is healthy, your whole body is full of light, but when it is bad, your body is full of darkness. Therefore be sure that the light [you think you have] in you is not darkness (Luke 11:34-35).
Jesus is the Light
- In him was life, and the life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it (John 1:4-5).
- The people walking in darkness have seen a great light. On those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned (Isaiah 9:2).
- The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1).
- I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you about these things for the congregations. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star (Revelation 22:16).
The Light Must Shine in Us
- Jesus said, "“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden" (Matthew 5:14).
- Let your light shine before others; let them see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven (Matthew 5:16).
- The light of the righteous rejoices, but the lamp of the wicked will be snuffed out (Proverbs 13:9).
The Future City of Light
- The city has no need for sun or moon to shine on it, because the glory of God illuminates the city, and the Lamb is its lamp. By its light will the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it. Its gates will never be shut by day and there will be no night there (Revelation 21:23-25).
- The sun shall be no more your light by day, nor for brightness shall the moon give you light; but the LORD will be your everlasting light, and your God will be your glory. Your sun shall no more go down, nor your moon withdraw itself; for the LORD will be your everlasting light, and your days of mourning shall be ended (Isaiah 60:19-20).