Author: Ron Graham
Bible Verses About Water
—A simple list
God Controls the Waters
- And the flying angel said in a loud voice, 'Fear God, and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come; worship Him who made the heaven and the earth and sea and springs of waters' (Revelation 14:7).
- The earth was formless and empty and darkness covered the surface of the deep. The Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters (Genesis 1:1-2).
- Then God said, 'Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.' And God made the expanse and separated the waters below the expanse from the waters above it. And it was so. (Genesis 1:6-7).
- In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on the same day all the fountains of the great deep burst open, and the floodgates of the sky were opened (Genesis 7:11-12).
- God remembered Noah and all the beasts and all the cattle that were with him in the ark. God caused a wind to pass over the earth, and the water subsided (Genesis 8:1).
- God sends forth springs in the valleys. They flow between the mountains (Psalm 104:10-11).
- God says to the snow, 'Fall on the earth,' and to the rain, 'Be a mighty downpour' (Job 37:6).
- Elijah was a human being, just like us. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops. (James 5:17-18).
- God makes the storm into a calm, so that the waves are at peace (Psalm 107:29).
- And Jesus awoke, and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, 'Peace, be still!' Then the wind ceased and there was a great calm (Mark 4:39).
- God alone stretches out the heavens and treads on the waves of the sea (Job 9:8).
- In the fourth watch of the night, Jesus came to the disciples by walking on the sea. They were terrified and said, 'It is a ghost!' (Matthew 14:25-26, Mark 6:48).
- [WEDDING AT CANA] Now there were six stone waterpots set there, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing. Each jar could hold 70 or 100 litres. Jesus said to the servants, 'Fill the jars with water'. They filled them to the brim. Jesus then he told them, 'Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.' That they did, and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside and said, 'Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now' (John 2:6-10).
Water in the Wilderness
- So Abraham rose early in the morning and took bread and a skin of water and gave them to Hagar, putting them on her shoulder, and gave her the boy, and sent her away. And she departed and wandered about in the wilderness of Beersheba. When the water in the skin was gone… then God opened her eyes and she saw a well of water; and she went and filled the skin with water and gave the lad a drink.(Genesis 21:14-19).
- Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and the LORD drove the sea back by a strong east wind all night long. He made the sea dry land and the waters were divided. The people of Israel went into the midst of the Red Sea on dry ground. The waters were as a wall to them on their right and on their left (Exodus 14:21-22).
- Then Moses led Israel from the Red Sea, and they went out into the wilderness of Shur; and they went three days in the wilderness and found no water (Exodus 15:22-27).
- But the people thirsted there for water and they grumbled against Moses and said, 'Why, now, have you brought us up from Egypt, to kill us and our children and our livestock with thirst?' (Exodus 17:3).
- And God said, 'Behold, I will stand before you there on the rock at Horeb; and you shall strike the rock, and water will come out of it, that the people may drink.' This Moses did in the sight of the elders of Israel (Exodus 17:6).
- In their hunger you gave them bread from heaven and in their thirst you brought them water from the rock; you told them to go in and take possession of the land you promised to give them (Nehemiah 9:15).
- Moses took the golden calf which they had made and burned it with fire, and ground it to powder, and scattered it over the surface of the water and made the sons of Israel drink it (Exodus 32:20).
- The beasts of the field will glorify me, the jackals and ostriches, for I have given waters in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert, to give my chosen people drink (Isaiah 43:20).
- And the LORD will continually guide you, And satisfy your desire in scorched places, and give strength to your bones. You will be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water whose waters do not fail. (Isaiah 58:11).
Washing Feet (Hospitality)
- [ABRAHAM] He said, 'Please let a little water be brought and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree' (Genesis 18:4).
- [LABAN] So the man came the house and unloaded the camels. There was straw and feed for the camels, and water to wash the man’s feet and the feet of the other men who were with him (Genesis 24:32).
- [JOSEPH] Then the man brought the men into Joseph’s house and gave them water, and they washed their feet; and he gave their donkeys fodder (Genesis 43:24).
- [ABIGAIL] When the servants of David came to Abigail at Carmel, they said to her, 'David has sent us to you to take you to him as his wife.' So she arose and bowed with her face to the ground and said, 'Behold, your handmaid is a servant to wash the feet of the servants of my lord.' (1Samuel 25:39-42).
- [JESUS] Turning toward the woman, Jesus said to Simon, 'Do you see this woman? I entered your house and you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair' (Luke 7:44).
- [JESUS] Jesus arose from the supper, set his garments aside, took a towel and wrapped it around himself. He then poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’s feet, drying them with the towel (John 13:1–17).
- From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brethren these things should not be so. Does a fountain send out from the same opening both fresh and bitter water? (James 3:10-11).
- The priest shall make the woman drink the water of bitterness that brings a curse, so that the water which brings a curse will go into her and cause bitterness… if she has defiled herself and broken faith with her husband (Numbers 5:23-28).
- When the Israelites came to Marah, they could not drink its water. The water was bitter… the LORD showed Moses a log which he then threw into the water, and the water became sweet (Exodus 15:23-25).
- The third angel sounded, and a great star fell from heaven, burning like a torch, and it fell on a third of the rivers and on the springs of waters. The name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters became wormwood, and many people died from the water, because it was made bitter (Revelation 8:10-11).
Abstinence from Water
- So Moses was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did not eat bread or drink water And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments (Exodus 34:28).
- Then Ezra rose from before the house of God and went into the chamber of Jehohanan the son of Eliashib. However, he did not eat bread there, nor drink water, for he was mourning over the unfaithfulness of the exiles. (Ezra 10:6).
Water and Kindness
- For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because of your name as followers of Christ, truly I say to you, he will not lose his reward. (Mark 9:41).
- If anyone gives so much as a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward (Matthew 10:42).
- To the weary you have given no water to drink, and from the hungry you have withheld bread (Job 22:7).
- If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat, and if he is thirsty, give him water to drink (Proverbs 25:21).
- When Jezebel destroyed the prophets of the LORD, Obadiah took a hundred prophets and hid them by fifties in a cave, and provided them with bread and water (1Kings 18:4).
Spiritual Water (Holy Spirit)
- Jesus said, 'If you knew the gift of God, and who is asking you for a drink, you would have asked of him, and he would have given you living water… Whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life' (John 4:7-14).
- Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, 'If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water'. Jesus said this about the Holy Spirit… (John 7:37-39).
- Therefore you will joyously draw water From the springs of salvation (Isaiah 12:3).
- For I will pour out water on the thirsty land and streams on the dry ground. I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring and my blessing on your descendants (Isaiah 44:3).
- In that day living waters will flow out of Jerusalem, half of them toward the eastern sea and the other half toward the western sea; it will be in summer as well as in winter (Zechariah 14:8).
- The angel showed me the river of the water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. The river flowed down the middle of the city’s great street. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month… (Revelation 22:2-3).
- O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly. My soul thirsts for you, my flesh yearns for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. (Psalm 63:1).
Water for Forgiveness
- …Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, to sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so as to present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish… (Ephesians 5:26).
- Let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water (Hebrews 10:22).
- And this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you —not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God (Peter 3:21).
Baptism in Water
- [JOHN’S BAPTISM] John also was baptizing in Aenon near Salim, because there was much water there. People were coming and were being baptized… (John 3:23).
- [JOHN’S BAPTISM] As for me, I baptize you in water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire (Matthew 3:11).
- [CHRISTIAN BAPTISM] Surely no one can forbid water or prevent these from being be baptized, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did? (Acts 10:47).
- [CHRISTIAN BAPTISM] As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, 'See, here is water; what hinders me from being baptized?' (Acts 8:36).