Author: Ron Graham
Places People Prayed
—A simple list from the Bible
Where They Were When They Prayed
- On the battlefield at war with the Philistines, Samuel cried out to the Lord to help the children of Israel (1Samuel 7:7-9).
- Nehemiah prayed in the palace of the king while in the king's presence "" (Nehemiah 2:4-5).
- From a deep pit or dungeon the writer of Lamentations called on the name of the LORD (Lamentations 3:55-57).
- Jonah prayed from the fish's belly (Jonah 2:1).
- Gethsemane, believed to be a garden or olive grove, was a place of prayer for Jesus (Matthew 26:36).
- Jesus withdrew into the wilderness to pray(Luke 5:16).
- Jesus went out to a mountain to spend the night in prayer. On another occasion he took Peter, John, and James, up on a mountain to pray. (Luke 6:12, 9:28).
- Two men went up to the temple to pray. One was a Pharisee and the other a tax collector(Luke 18:10).
- The thief on the cross prayed to Jesus. Jesus also prayed on the cross (Luke 23:34,42).
- In an upper room, the disciples were praying. This was on the day of Pentecost after Jesus's resurrection and ascension (Acts 1:12-14).
- At his execution by stoning, Stephen prayed for himself and for his executioners (Acts 7:59-60).
- Devout women including Lydia met regularly to pray by a riverside (Acts 16:13-14).
- Paul prayed by the seashore with the Christians at Tyre as he said farewell to them (Acts 21:5).
- Paul prayed on a ship that was in grave danger of being wrecked on the rocks. His was a prayer of thanks for the bread he was about to eat (Acts 27:33-36).
- Paul prayed at the bedside of a sick man and healed him (Acts 28:7-8).
Copyright on print