Author: Ron Graham
Bible Maxims (5)
—About the Second Coming
Here's a neat simple selection for your edification of maxims about the second coming of Christ. A maxim is a brief pithy expression of some general principle or rule of conduct. Some passages quoted below can be seen as a chain of maxims.
Bible Maxims — List 5
- "Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven" (Acts 1:11).
- "Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him—even those who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. So shall it be! Amen" (Revelation 1:7 ESV).
- "Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done." (Revelation 22:12 ESV).
- "In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also" (John 14:2-3 KJV).
- "...when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus" (2Thessalonians 1:7-8 ESV).
- "...when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among all who have believed, because our testimony to you was believed" (2Thessalonians 1:10 ESV).
- "Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appearsa we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure" (1John 3:2-3 ESV).
- "And though you have not seen him, yet you love him, and though you do not see him now, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory" (1Peter 1:3-9).
- "And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him" (Hebrews 9:27-28).
- "Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory" (Matthew 24:30-31 ESV).
- "For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God" (1Thessalonians 4:16-17 ESV).
- "And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord" (1Thessalonians 4:16-17 ESV).
- "And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other" (Matthew 24:30-31 ESV).
- "Once more (in but a little while) I will shake heaven and earth, the sea and dry land, and I will shake all nations" (Haggai 2:6, cf Hebrews 12:26-29).
- "All the host of heaven shall be dissolved, And the heavens shall be rolled up like a scroll; All their host shall fall down As the leaf falls from the vine, And as fruit falling from a fig tree" (Isaiah 34:4 NKJV).
- "...the heavens and earth that now exist are stored up for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly" (2Peter 3:7-13 ESV).
- "But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day" (2Peter 3:7-13 ESV).
- "The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you,a not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance" (2Peter 3:7-13 ESV).
- "But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodiesb will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed" (2Peter 3:7-13 ESV).
- "Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set on fire and dissolved, and the heavenly bodies will melt as they burn!" (2Peter 3:7-13 ESV).
- "But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells" (2Peter 3:7-13 ESV).
- "When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats" (Matthew 25:31-32 NKJV).
- "...the hour is coming when all who are in their graves will hear His voice and come out —those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment." (John 5:28-29 BSB).
- "And at that time your people shall be delivered, Every one who is found written in the book. And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, Some to everlasting life, Some to shame and everlasting contempt" (Daniel 12:1-3 NKJV).
- "Those who are wise shall shine Like the brightness of the firmament, And those who turn many to righteousness Like the stars forever and ever." (Daniel 12:1-3 NKJV).
- "Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it. From his face the earth and the heaven fled away and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God" (Revelation 20:11-15).
- "And books were opened —and another book was opened, the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books" (Revelation 20:11-15).
- "The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works" (Revelation 20:11-15).
- "Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death" (Revelation 20:11-15).
- "And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire" (Revelation 20:11-15).
- "And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God" (Revelation 21:3 ESV).
- "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away" (Revelation 21:4 ESV).
- "Your eyes will see the king in his beauty and view a land that stretches afar" (Isaiah 33:17 NIV).
- "He who testifies to these things says, 'Surely I am coming quickly'. Amen. Even so come Lord Jesus!" (Revelation 22:20).