Word family: Reconciliation, reconcile.
Synonyms: Atonement, reunion, peace, making friends of enemies
Related ideas: rebellion, alienation, enmity, sacrifice.
Greek References: katallagee 2643 (Strong) cf 2644, 604
Definitions: To be reconciled means to be made "at one" with God. Reconciliation is atonement (at-one-ment). Reconciliation means having fellowship and peace with God where once there was enmity.
Reconciliation through Christ
- Romans 5:10-11 "we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son... saved by his life... we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation"
Reconciliation through ministry
- 2Corinthians 5:18-20 "God, who reconciled us to himself through Jesus Christ, and gave to us the [word and] ministry of reconciliation, namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to himself... we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God"
Reconciliation of the world
- Romans 11:15 "...the reconciling of the world..."
- Ephesians 2:14-18 "...he made the two into one and broke down the dividing wall... that he... might reconcile them both into one body through the cross..." (The two groups referred to are the Jews and the Gentiles, all reconciled to one God, and all reconciled to one another in one church.)
- Colossians 1:20-22 "...and through him to reconcile all things to himself —all things by him, whether things on the earth, or things in the heavens, having made peace through the blood of his cross"
Comment: Our estrangement from God was entirely our own fault. Our reconciliation to God is not entirely within our own power. Only through Jesus Christ can we be made one with God again and be restored to fellowship in his family.