Author: Ron Graham
Word Study: Redemption
Word family: Redemption, redeemed Redeemer.
Synonyms: Liberation, ransom, freedom purchased
Related ideas: blood, enslavement, price
Definitions: Redemption is the purchase of freedom for a slave.
Greek References: λυτρωσις (lutrosis) 3085 (Strong) with apo- 629, cf 080-3086 and 3089
Jesus paid the ransom
- Mark 10:45 "For the Son of Man also came not to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many"
- 1Corinthians 1:30 "Jesus... was made to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption"
We can be forgiven and freed
- Romans 3:23-24 "for all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God, being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus"
- Ephesians 1:7 "...he freely bestowed favor on us in the Beloved, in whom we have our redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace"
- Col 1:14 "...the Son of his love, in whom we have our redemption, the forgiveness of our sins"
Our redemption is forever
- Heb 9:12 "...nor yet through the blood of goats and calves, but through his own blood, he entered in once for all into the Holy Place, having obtained eternal redemption"
Comment: Satan deceived us into selling our souls for a fool's price, and we became his slaves. Our redemption, however, came at a price determined by God, without asking Satan's agreement or approval. The price had to be right, in order that the transaction be just. But we could not pay the price. So Jesus paid the price for us. With his own blood he redeemed us. So we have now become the slaves of God who treats us as his very sons and heirs.