Author: Ron Graham
Word Study: Salvation
Word family: Salvation, saved, Saviour.
Synonyms: Deliverance, rescue, preservation in peril
Related ideas: Wrath, lost, way, escape
Definitions: Salvation is being forgiven of sins through the sacrifice by Christ of his own body and blood. We are thereby rescued and preserved from the doom of all sinners. Instead, by the grace of God, we are given eternal life.
Salvation by grace for all
- Titus 2:11 "For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men..."
Salvation from wrath
- Romans 5:9-10 "being now justified by his blood, we will be saved from God’s wrath through him"
Salvation through obedience and faith
- Mark 16:15-16 "...he who believes and is baptized will be saved..."
- Romans 1:16 "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God for salvation for everyone who believes"
- Philippians 2:12 "...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling"
- 2Thessalonians 2:13 "salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief in the truth"
Comment: Christians talk about salvation, the Saviour, and being saved. However, the meaning and doctrine behind these terms is not aways well understood. We are, to put it simply, saved by the love of God from the wrath of God if we believe and obey Christ.
Greek References: soteeria 4991, cf 4990-4992 and 4982 (Strong)