Author: Ron Graham
Word Study: Faith
Word family: Faith, faithful, faithfulness.
Synonyms: Believing, belief, confidence, trust
Related ideas: Trustworthiness, receiving or accepting, assurance of hope,
Definitions: Faith is full acceptance of the gospel of Christ --belief in its facts, commitment to its principles, trust in its Author, acknowledgement of his authority, confidence in his promises, obedience to his commandments.
Greek References: πιστις (pistis) 4102 (Strong) cf 4103
Faith for all
- John 3:16 "God so loved the world... that whoever believes may... have everlasting life"
- Romans 1:16-17 "salvation for everyone who believes"
Faith for living
- Galatians 2:20 "...the life that I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God..."
- Ephesians 2:8-10 "By grace you have been saved through faith... created in Christ Jesus for good works..."
- Jude 1:3 "contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints"
- James 2:14-26 "faith worked with his works, and by works faith was perfected... by works a man is justified, and not by faith alone."
Faith for perfection
- Philippians 3:9 "...not a righteousness of my own... but that which is through faith in Christ... the righteousness which is from God by faith"
- Hebrews 11:1,6 "Without faith it is impossible to please God"
- Hebrews 12:2 "Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith"
Comment: Protestant reformation theology held that faith is entirely a work of God for his chosen who are saved by faith alone. Paul's teaches "the obedience of faith" (Romans 1:5) agreeing with James that one is saved by faith and works together, not by either alone.