Author: Ron Graham
Word Study: Paraclete
Word family: Paraclete.
Synonyms: Comforter, Advocate, Helper
Related ideas: Holy Spirit, intercession, priesthood, God dwelling among men, providence.
Definitions: Paraclete is a word from Greek. It means “one called alongside to help”; a comforter and advocate; one who encourages, strengthens, consoles, enables, protects, defends, intercedes, etc.
Greek References: παρακλητος (parakleetos) 3875 (Strong) [para beside, and kaleo to call]; cf παρακαληω (parakaleo) 3870 and παρακλησις (parakleesis) 3874, consolation.
The Father, God of all comfort
- 2Corinthians 1:3-4 “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those in trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.”
- Hebrews 6:17-20 “God, deciding to show more abundantly to the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath, that by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we might have strong consolation...”
The Son, our Advocate with the Father
- 1John 2:1 “We have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.”
- Hebrews 4:14-16 “We have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God... that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”
The Holy Spirit, our Comforter and Helper
- Acts 9:31 “Walking in the fear of the Lord and the comfort of the Holy Spirit, they were multiplied.”
- John 14:16,26 “And I will pray the Father, and he will give you another* Helper, [the Holy Spirit,] that he may abide with you forever.”
*Implies that Jesus is also a helper or paraclete.
- John 15:26, 16:7 “If I depart I will send the Helper to you”
- Romans 8:26 “The Spirit helps us in our weakness... makes intercession for us...”
Comment: Paraclete is a word sometimes used to refer to the Holy Spirit. This does not mean that the Holy Spirit is our only Paraclete. Rather he is the third paraclete. The Father and the Son also engage in comforting and helping us, as the above scriptures show.