Author: Ron Graham
Dreaded Test and Assignment 2
—On Bible study techniques
The test and assignment below belong to the training series "Success in the Pulpit".
- 1. Choose a Bible passage of four to six verses —different to the one you chose for your previous assignment.
- 2. Read all the tips in the lesson notes entitled "Bible Study Method" as well as the checklist entitled "Bible Study Checklist".
- 3. Write down a list of what you consider are the key words or phrases in the passage. Next write out a paraphrase of the passage —express it in your own words. Finally try to write a short classification of the passage. This could be difficult, just do the best you can.
- 4. Take the quiz below to review previous lessons.
Questions for Review
1. What do you use a pencil for when preparing to read the Bible in public? (A) Marking pauses and emphasis, (B) Doodling , (C) Pointing to words;.
2. How should you practice the public reading? (A) Silent reading, (B) Read aloud, (C) Don’t need to practice.
3. When reading the Bible in public, in what order should you announce the place? (A) Verse, book, chapter, (B) Chapter, verse, book, (C) Book, chapter, verse.
4. What sermon technique is the easiest to use and often the best method for your topic? (A) Analogy, (B) Simple list outline, (C) Expository.
5. How many sermon types are there to choose from? (A) One, (B) Four, (C) Seven.
6. What is the most direct and difficult sermon technique? (A) Expository preaching, (B) Topical preaching, (C) Preaching without method.
7. What method has great potential but is largely neglected? (A) Topical preaching, (B) Bible story or biography, (C) The ramble.