Author: Ron Graham
Why was the New Covenant Needed?
—Five reasons outlined
In this lesson we consider the question: Why was the New Covenant Needed? (Hebrews 8:6-8).
1 There had to be a better covenant
- God's plan was in God's mind before creation (1Peter 1:20).
- Christ's death as an atonement for sin was the crux of God's purpose (Acts 2:23-24).
- Reason dictates a change of covenants would occur at this event (Hebrews 7:22-271:8, cf Hebrews 7:12).
- The old covenant was a preparation for the coming of Christ (Galatians 3:24-25).
- The old covenant (the law of Moses) did not have the means to take away sin (Hebrews 10:3-4).
2 There had to be a clearer revelation
- What was a secret had to be made manifest (Romans 16:25-26).
- What was a mystery had to be made known (Ephesians 1:9,1:8, 2Co3:16-17).
- The ancient questions had to be answered (1Peter 1:10-12).
- The shadows had to give way to the real (Hebrews 10:1).
3 There had to be a fuller freedom to live by faith
- It's always been true that "The just shall live by faith" (Habakkuk 2:4).
- People were living by faith before the old covenant was in force (Hebrews 11:4-11).
- The old covenant law did not do much to help people live by faith (Galatians 3:10-14).
- There was need of a covenant that could be written in the heart (Jeremiah 31:31-33).
4 There had to be a way into the true tabernacle
- It's always been possible to pray personally to God.
- Hannah (Samuel's mother) did this (1Samuel 1:1-18).
- But earthly tabernacle kept God at a distance (Hebrews 9:2-3,11).
- A new covenant was needed to provide a veil for entrance into the most holy place, instead of a veil that barred it (Heb10:19-20).
5 There had to be equal rights for all nations to come to God
- It's always been possible for Gentiles to be converted (Ruth 1:16,1:8, Matthew 23:15,1:8, Acts 2:10b).
- But the "fullness of the Gentiles" had to come (Romans 11:25,1:8, Galatians 3:14).
- Believers had to be "all one in Christ Jesus" (Galatians 3:26-29).
- There had to be "One flock with one Shepherd" (John 10:16).